The goal

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 2

So day two started out rather leisurely, got up sort of when people felt like it. We all got ready and headed out for another fun filled day.

Went and ate breakfast at Ihop first, where the food was tasty but they denied Brook her Cinna-minions which was just mean. Then we went to board the Metra. Apparently there are only 'permit required' parking lots there... so we drove around and around and around until finally father went into city hall (?) where they gave him a one day permit thing. So yay! But we had literally just missed a train heading to the city so we had to wait an hour for the next one. Luckily they had some lovely flowers to look at, so that killed all of 5 minutes. Books were retrieved from the van and reading commenced. It was a nice day so it's wasn't so bad waiting around.

By the time the train came the station was pretty crowded, pops wanted to sit on the upper level of the train if possible, it wasn't. They were full. So we just hurried to find seats and sat. Dude behind me? Yeah grunty, wheezy, sniffy guy. Sort of annoying and gross. But other than that nice ride. (Jacob and I had been on the Metra before... Not sure if Mom rode that our not)

Came in to Union Station and we had pre-decided to catch a water taxi out to Navy Pier. So we totally did! Oh by the way, always a good idea to watch where you are going and not be staring at a map.... cause then you don't notice those three stairs you are about to walk down-- whoops! Didn't fall though, just... took a jump. My bad! Some comic relief for you there folks.

There were some (I can only hope) teenagers getting on the taxi ahead of us (same taxi, ahead in line) and they seemed to be having some sort of feud with some other kids ahead of them, behaving in a very immature manner. And it continued the rest of the time they were on the boat. Did your mother not teach you manners? Oh wait that's your mother/guardian with you behaving the exact same way? Question withdrawn.

But it was fun to head down the river and to see all the buildings. I sort of wished we had been able to do a water tour instead, then you get to see a little more and you can actually hear the guy when he talks on his little intercom thing.

Navy Pier was nice, they have a big noodle like is in front of Wrigley so the kids posed in front of that, Jacob tried to eat it. They had this statue of kids playing.... ring-around-the-rosie? Anyway we thought it'd be fun to pose with it, or at least mimic it, so we did! Cause we're goobs! But I like it!

Jacob, Brook and I went up on the ferris wheel, the rents weren't real keen on the idea. That was sweet, but they were trying to educate us about the city and all of the directions they were giving seemed way off, and how hard can that be to give directions from Navy Pier?

So we went inside to eat at Capi's. They have some serious pasta making skills. Very delicious.

We happened to notice that there was a red carpet laid out. That's very curious. And there was a sign about the Stanley Cup, wait... that means....

That's right the Blackhawks, Champions of the Stanley Cup we're going to be at Navy Pier!! Talk about awesome!

Unfortunately they were supposed to have been there at 3 (? this is the story I heard it's not been confirmed) but it was past that and they still hadn't shown up. We needed to catch our trolley to get to the L station to get to the game. So we quickly looked through the shops there. One store had a top that I LOVED but the color I wanted only came in smalls, plus it might have been a kids shirt... the other color's extra large seemed small. So I just came away with some sweet post cards.

The trolley was fun, wicked crowded but fun. The driver was funny, he said I'll call out the stops, if you need off just pull the cord, or if you can't reach that 'dingding' works for me. So we got to hear lots of people yell out 'dingding'. But Jacob was disappointed, he wanted to pull the cord for our stop but almost everybody got off there and they all yelled, so no cord pulling for him. :(

Hopped on the L, red line just so you know. Well actually the first one was so crowded we decided to wait, the next one was better but only slightly. Standing room only here kids, and it's a bit of a bumpy ride. But I was ok with it. One of the ladies next to me was not, she was very annoyed that the train was so full. (that's right I read her text over her shoulder... but just the one!) Got off at Addison and we were there!

Wrigley! I love that place! It's so fun. So we walked around the whole thing, Brook had never been. And we looked at shirts and I really wanted a couple. I so wanted one with a name on the back, but I'm not allowed. Every time, every time that I've ever gotten anything with my favorite player's name on it, they get traded. EVERY TIME! I got a pin once like a lapel pin? It looked like a jersey and had Michael Barrett's name on the back, figured I'd be ok since I wouldn't actually wear it? Nope I don't think it was even a month later they traded him.

No shirt names for me!!!

But I did want another shirt, but they were all like 40-50 bucks, and I am cheap, or poor. Depends on how you look at it. I didn't really want to spend that much, but I didn't really have that much to spend anyway. So... yeah.

So game was good... though the Umps were bad, calling people out that were safe and what not! And the starting Cubs pitcher did not have a good inning. But there was a home run or two by the Cubs. But ultimately? Yeah they lost. *sigh* I blame Starlin, he had some really horrible plays. And I just don't understand. If someone is having that bad of a day why do you leave him in?!?! You took the pitcher out when he did bad, and the next one... so why leave in the bad short stop player? Who knows?

Funny story, cute family in front of us? The dad reminded me of my Uncle Tim. He seemed to really love the ladies of his family which is just super sweet. (Again I was being nosy) He was texting someone about the game and said 'I have much to teach my daughters. Meg just asked if it's half time' I love that he found that cute. Cause it totally is!

We actually had to leave before the game was over to catch our train back. But I don't think we missed much. At one of our stops we got to see a GIANT EYEBALL! There should be more of those in the world. It was some art they had on display. Got to see the Public Library which had some sweet architectural elements. And then it was back to Union Station. Again had to wait an hour for our train, literally just missed the one before. (it's a knack)

Train ride back we sat up top. Not sure Pops enjoyed it as much as he thought he would. Ours was the second or third to last stop the train made so we got a nice long ride. Then into the van and back to the hotel. Where we all just pretty much crashed. It was a long day and full of fun but finally time to end it.


Travel back story tomorrow? Not much to tell really but I might post some pictures there.

Late!

2 comments:

Brook Elise said...

I still haven't gotten my cinni-minions... harumph.

I love your paragraph about the water taxi hooligans... very well-written lol

I love that you were eavesdropping on a lady's text message on the L... I was doing that at the game w/the Astros kid in front of Jacob haha plus, it's the L... is she really going to get upset that public transportation is full of people?

ok you blogged about the trip so well, what am I gonna blog now? haha

Akira_kin said...

blog about your observations. You always write so very well too!!