The goal

Friday, August 28, 2009

In which I imagine

So I wracked and wracked my brain for a good thing to write about on here today.

I mean wracked and I came up with a big ol' goose egg.

Bupkis.

Zilch.

I was fresh out of creative juice.

And then I went to work. Which is actually somewhat of a mind productive place for me.

Some of my best work is inspired from my job.

And while it wasn't actually at work that this idea came to me, it was on the way back from that it did.

It's not actually all my creative-ness. I am borrowing from fun., which is the name of the band by the way. fun. That's their name. It's a keeper!

So I was listening to one of their songs on the way home and I know that I've stated that I would love to be an author. Well not just that I want to be an author. I just want to write, just one book would be nice. ANYWAY, my point is that I am frequently inspired with scene ideas by music or well any number of things. And this song put this scene in my head. And seeing as I had nothing else to write about I thought I would give you a sample of the type of writing I would do if only I could conjure up a whole story plot.

You'll have to listen to the song for the full effect. I recommend reading it through once and then you can skim it while listening the second time to really get the full scene.

By the way it's just easier to say this right away. This scene is taking place at a newly-wed's reception. Dinner is more or less over, people have had cake and it's just before the dancing and such. Everyone is talking.....


"Scene inspired by 'The Gambler'- lyrics and music entirely by fun."

"Ok everyone, now is the time that I am going to do something special for my lovely wife and make a bit of a fool of my self. This happens to be one of her favorite songs and it doesn't actually apply to us yet, but I hope it does some day so yeah... enjoy this." the groom says causing his new wife to turn to him in surprise and look at him questioningly.

He just smiled in response.

A lovely tune begins to play on a piano, the bride turns in surprise to see her mother-in-law playing.

And then she hears her husband begin to sing.

"Slow down, we've got time to be lazy.
All the kids have bloomed from babies, into flowers in our eyes.
We've got 50 good years left to spend out in the garden.
I don't care to beg your pardon,
We should live until we die."

Suddenly a violin player stands among the friends at the reception and joins in the song, drawing the bride's attention for just a moment before she turns back to her groom.

"We were barely 18, when we crossed collective hearts.
It was cold, but it got warm when you'd barely crossed my eye.
And then you turned, put out your hand,
And you asked me to dance.
I knew nothing of romance, but it was love at second sight.
I swear when I grow up I won't just buy you a rose."

All the bridesmaids and flower girls suddenly brought the bride multiple and varied bouquets of flowers, making the bride laugh even as she teared up a little.

"I will buy the flower shop, and you'll never be lonely.
Even if the sun stops waking up over the fields,
I will not leave. I will not leave 'til it's our time."

The groom holding out his hand,

"So just take my hand, you know that I will never leave your side."

The groom points to the new members who are now joining in. The best man is dressed in a bib and bonnet and is kneeling on the ground.

"Well it was the winter of '86, all the fields had frozen over.
So we moved Arizona to save our only son."

The best man rips off the baby gear and stands proudly as a man again.

"And now he's turned into a man, though he thinks just like his mother.
He believes we're all just lovers, he sees hope in everyone."

The best man hands the bride the receiver of a telephone that has a long cord attached to another receiver that the maid of honor is holding, who is wear sunglasses with big cardboard blue eyes pasted to them. A few more members join in playing brass instruments.

"And even though she's moved away,
we always get calls from our daughter.
She has eyes just like her father,
they are blue when skies are gray.
And just like him she never stops.
Never takes a day for granted, works for everything that handed to her.
Never once complains."

"You think that I nearly lost you.
When the doctors tried to take you away."

The bride's hand is again taken by the groom as friends and family wheel in a portable fireplace that is 'lit' up.

"But like the night you took my hand beside the fire,
nearly 30 years ago to this day.
You swore you'd be here 'til the day we decide that it's our time.
But it's not time, you've never quit in all your life.
So just take my hand, you know that I will never leave your side.
You're the love of my life, you know that I will never leave your side."

The groom gets up and joins the bridal party on the dance floor and dances a regency era dance befitting the music. He stumbles through a few of the steps but it's the moment that means so much to the bride and she can't help but laugh. By the end of the instruments flourish he rushes back over to finish his song to his bride.

"You come home from work, and you kiss me on the eye.
You curse the dogs you say that I should never feed them what is ours."

The ring bearer brings a tiny puppy in for the bride that has a bow tied to it's collar.

"So we move into the garden,
look at everything we've grown,
and the kids are coming home,
so I'll set the table.
You can light the fire."

Everyone cheers as the song ends and the bride still laughing kisses her husband as he gently wipes away the few tears that his love and care has caused.

"Thank you! Thank you everyone!" the bride finally says into the mike making everyone laugh some more. The reception resumes the normal proceedings of first dances and more, but it will be a special moment that everyone, especially the bride will remember for the rest of their lives.


There that wasn't so bad was it?
I think it's better if you could actually see the scene as it plays in my head, cause it's really funny and so very very sweet. Well anyway, that was really long and it's possibly even longer if you re-read it.
Was it worth it?

No comments: